Saturday, October 17, 2015

BLA BLA BLA

I never encountered the frequent use of the phrase "blah blah blah," or "bla bla bla" until a dozen years ago when I moved to El Paso, Texas.  I'd certainly heard or seen the phrase from time to time, but it was not a common expression: and when I did see it written, it was usually "blah blah blah." 

I was struck at how frequently I heard people use this phrase in El Paso upon my arrival in 2004- much more often than when I lived in California or elsewhere in Texas.  I thought perhaps this was a local Borderland colloquialism.  But with the rise of social media in the current decade, it quickly became clear that "bla(h) bla(h) bla(h)" was not a modismo chuco: people all over were using it, and often dropping the silent "h" at the end of "blah," making it "bla bla bla."  Was this a sign of the ever-changing English language?

I now know the answer: apparently not, because I stumbled upon this*: it's a close-up of part of a cartoon postcard from ~1944,  when World War II was raging and Americans experienced rationing of meat, sugar, coffee, and other goods.  Look at the name of the newspaper in the cartoon!  I guess "BLA BLA BLA" goes way way back.




*Image extracted from Figure 20 in Lehmann, D.K., 2015, "World War II Ration Stamps," American Philatelist 129: 950-956.

No comments:

Post a Comment