Saturday, January 16, 2016

HOWDY DAMFOOL

The human mind, and the Internet, are wonderful things. 

In my sleep, or drifting-off-to-sleep, last night, the phrase "Howdy damfool" flashed into my mind from some far, deeply-wrinkled corner of my brain.  I instantly was taken back to my childhood.  One day I was looking at one of my father's fishing magazines, and I saw a cartoon, which in my memory was a New Yorker- style cartoon; it included two men fishing in boats approaching each other, wherein the one guy (who, in my mind, looked like my dad) says to the other, "Howdy, damfool!"

For some reason at the time, that cartoon just struck me.  I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen in my young life.  It cracked me up so much that I took Dad's magazine to school, showed the cartoon to my friends during recess (and we chuckled over it together), and I even tried to recreate the cartoon during art class (I didn't have much success, which is probably good, since the teacher might not have liked the language).  

So, of course, what did I do this morning? I Googled the phrase, "howdy damfool" (you can too), and THERE IT WAS!


The layout of the cartoon wasn't exactly New Yorker- style, but the guy with the hat on did remind me of my father!

Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment